Re: [xsl] [XSLT 2.0] Checking that an element's value has the desired datatype?

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSLT 2.0] Checking that an element's value has the desired datatype?
From: Florent Georges <darkman_spam@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:45:48 +0200 (CEST)
"Costello, Roger L." wrote:

> >> I can do datatype checking, without using XML Schemas.

> > No, you do string matching on the lexical representation
> > of the values.  The difference can be important.

> What is the difference?

> If my stylesheet checks that the value of an element is an
> optional "+" or "-" followed by one or more digits, how is
> that different from a schema validator checking that the
> element has an integer datatype?

  It is not the same thing.  By matching the string value,
you don't know the actual type of the node.  Is it an
xs:integer, an xs:decimal, a my:special-int, a
my:degree-in-celcius, a my:degree-in-kelvin, or a plain
xs:string?  Note that the later is very important, as in
this case "01" is not the same thing that "1".

  Actually, I experienced something related yesterday.  I'm
using Google Spreadsheet to share data with friends.  The
data of one column is something like the ID of a document.
And it looks something like "2/02".  One digit, "/" then two
digits.  But when I first typed "2/02", it displayed
something like "Feb., 2 2006".

  Google Spreadsheet thought "it is the same lexical
representation that the one of a date, so *it is* a date".
But it wasn't, and I didn't want a date.  I did want to keep
my string, exactly as I typed it.

  Regards,

--drkm

Dicouvrez une nouvelle fagon d'obtenir des riponses ` toutes vos questions !
Demandez ` ceux qui savent sur Yahoo! Questions/Riponses
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com