Re: [xsl] XSL and XML Help

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL and XML Help
From: Florent Georges <darkman_spam@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:30:43 +0200 (CEST)
Wendell Piez wrote:

  Hi

> At 06:00 PM 10/13/2006, Dr KM wrote:

> > > You can do this with a for-each instruction, but
> > > anything you can do with a for-each instruction you
> > > can do with templates

> >   Excepted that template rules are applicable (mmh, not
> > sure this is correct English) only to nodes.

> This is interesting ... it's true in XSLT 2.0, but not in
> XSLT 1.0, where one can select only nodes when executing a
> for-each.

  Yes.

> In XSLT 1.0, indeed, the content of a for-each instruction
> is formally called a "template", while what we commonly
> call a "template" is actually named a "template rule"
> (which usage I see you observe :-).

  Yes, there were a lot of confusion between "template" and
"template rule".  So XSLT 2.0 replaced "template" by
"sequence constructor".  But in your initial sentence above,
I guess you meant "template rule", isn't it ?-)

> I suppose this is also not the case in XSLT 2.0?

  Mmh, I'm not sure what you mean here?

  A simple example for for-each vs/ apply-templates in XSLT
2.0.  It is not "right" (for one definition of "right") to
write:

    <xsl:function name="my:f">
      <xsl:param name="p" as="item()+"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="$p"/>
    </xsl:function>

Write instead:

    <xsl:function name="my:f">
      <xsl:param name="p" as="item()+"/>
      <xsl:for-each select="$p">
      </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:function>

or:

    <xsl:function name="my:f">
      <xsl:param name="p" as="node()+"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="$p"/>
    </xsl:function>

or even:

    <xsl:function name="my:f">
      <xsl:param name="p" as="item()+"/>
      <xsl:sequence select="for $i in $p return ..."/>
    </xsl:function>

  But I agree for-each is often over-employed, instead of
template rules.

  Regards,

--drkm

Dicouvrez une nouvelle fagon d'obtenir des riponses ` toutes vos questions !
Demandez ` ceux qui savent sur Yahoo! Questions/Riponses
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com