Re: [xsl] Execute asp page during transformation

Subject: Re: [xsl] Execute asp page during transformation
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:52:01 +0100
Giancarlo Rossi wrote:

"there are zillion ways to do this"

I need to know Just only one further...

Perhaps I was a bit too abstract. I mentioned about three to four methods depending on how you count. I don't see why you need "one further". But upon re-reading your original posting, I think I misinterpreted your question.. This is what I got (this is my intepretation):

"how to send a parameter from outside the xsl, to the xsl".

But now I understand that this has nothing to do with it. I'm at a loss of what you actually want.

You gave an example which left me wondering:

<iframe style="display:none" src="insert.asp?da_apt={codice_ow}">

I really have no clue whatsoever why you would like to use a hidden IFRAME on your page. In a way, it looks to me that you want your page, after or during loading, call another page and do something with its contents, or change its SRC attribute, so you can receive the content based on a different "parameter". But that's guessing. If that is what you want, look up XMLHttpRequest (XHR for short) on Google. Try prototype.js (google), if you don't want to reinvent the wheel (but there are other libraries, both commercial and not).

In short: if you want your page to dynamically load XML and do something with it, your best bet is AJAX technology (just a popular acronym these days about how to use Javascript to asynchronously retrieve XML from within your page withour reloading that page in the browser.

At any rate, please be specific about what you want. Give a clear example of what you want to achieve and what your options are: in fact, give us a view of your problem domain.

Cheers,

-- Abel Braaksma
  http://www.nuntia.com