Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH

Subject: Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:55:43 -0700
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:25:20 -0700, Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Quite strange statement!

Not sure I understand why? This is based off a statement from a few years back in which Dr. Kay made the explicit statement that he would not be a part of the next iteration of the spec. My point was simple: If this is truly the case, then it would seem to me to make sense to be proactive about ensuring that any follow-up requirement are handled by someone who has an intimate understanding of the specification from an implementation perspective, as opposed to some armchair general who gets appointed for reasons other than being the best person for the task.

 Just a few things:
 1. This would be the worst possible thing to happen. The XSLT 2.0 Spec
is a huge achievement, why should one of its main heroes retire?

Agreed. My statement was made based on the previously mentioned post from Dr. Kay. And while I feel the exact same way (would hate to see him retire), if this is truly the case, then it seems wise to be proactive with the conversation as to whom should take on the task of,

Hopefully they will incorporate Dr. Kay's lexical and grammar
definition (at least as a matter of style) in a 2.1 or Errata version
of the recommendation.

Agreed. As you point out,

The XSLT 2.0 Spec is a huge achievement

But so was the 1.0 spec, and so will the 3.0 spec.

2. As I already said, I would personally welcome spreading the
positive influence of such great people on other related W3C
specifications.

Have absolutely no idea what you mean by this.

3. W3/company politics discussions certainly do not belong to the
topics of this mailing list.

Agreed. Thus the statement,

this is obviously not the type of discussion that would be appropriate to take
place on-list,

That said, just because the W3C could care less what the developers who use their technologies think, doesn't mean we have to keep our mouths shut. In other words, to be quite honest, the W3C can ki$$ my a$$ if they want to continue forward with their closed door/closed ear policies.

Anyway, let's keep to the topic of any OP and not turn into completely
new and unrelated ones.

Not sure I agree this is unrelated, but it is new, so fair enough. As I already pointed out, I agree this isn't the type of discussion that should take place on-list. But I do believe it should take place if the time were to come that Dr. Kay chose to retire. That said, I hope he chooses to stay on as the editor until the day I am no longer capable of typing the keys on my keyboard, and for the sake of my children and grandchildren, even longer than that! But retirement happens.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 | http://dev.aol.com/blog/3155