Re: [xsl] In Search of People Who Know About and/or Use the, Document Function

Subject: Re: [xsl] In Search of People Who Know About and/or Use the, Document Function
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:30:55 -0600
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 03:05:03 -0600, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That looks really good - and all still just using the processing
instruction to apply the transform?

Yup.

Is it possible for the XML files to be Fast Infoset files? (or at
least some other compression)

As far as I know, gzip is supported, though let me do a quick test and report back.

I don't know of any browser-based FI parsers. There's a FastInfoset.NET library that could potentially be used inside of Silverlight but I'm not sure if it would save you much initially as, as far as I know, you would have to invoke it via Javascript. Of course once the page was loaded if you coupled FastInfoset.NET with the 1 meg of client-side isolated storage provided for each Silverlight application domain you could do the same thing that Robert Koberg is doing with the Dojo framework using Flash to cache precompiled transformation files. It seems to me that if done correctly, the combination of the two client-side transfomations -- using a PI to "pre-compile" the page into browser/platform-specific code; pre-compiled transforms and FastInfoset.NET for in-process asynchronous data transformations -- coupled with a complimenting server-side transformation service could be quite the poweful combination.

Very impressive

Thanks! :D

Will report back on gzip here in a sec.

--