Re: [xsl] In Search of People Who Know About and/or Use the, Document Function

Subject: Re: [xsl] In Search of People Who Know About and/or Use the, Document Function
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:05:41 -0600
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:30:55 -0600, M. David Peterson <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will report back on gzip here in a sec.

Yup, works just fine.

The original: http://personplacething.info/index.xml

The compressed: http://personplacething.info/gziptest.xmlgz

The headers,

---

[root@domU-12-31-34-00-03-31 webapp]# curl -I http://personplacething.info/index.xml
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:53:46 GMT
Server: lighttpd + mono + fastcgi + xameleon

[root@domU-12-31-34-00-03-31 webapp]# curl -I http://personplacething.info/gziptest.xmlgz
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:51:36 GMT
Server: lighttpd + mono + fastcgi + xameleon

---

Which in this case means an original file size of 9578 saves you 6940 bytes. I already have built-in memcached support based on ETags for both the resulting transformed data files as well as the source XML data and transformation files as part of the Xameleon library[1,2,3], and memcached already supports gzip out of the box, something I've had on my TODO list to add to the mix at some point. I think I need to get cranking on that TODO list! ;-)

Next on the list: Port this all back to a Java library for use in Java Servlets/JSP applications. Any volunteers? ;-) :D

[1] http://extf.googlecode.com/svn/branches/development-0.2.3/Xameleon
[2] http://extf.googlecode.com/svn/branches/development-0.2.3/Xameleon/HttpApplication/Global.cs
[3] http://extf.googlecode.com/svn/branches/development-0.2.3/Xameleon/HttpHandler/AsyncSaxonHttpHandler.cs

--