Re: [xsl] passing xml strings to xslt using saxon in java

Subject: Re: [xsl] passing xml strings to xslt using saxon in java
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:42:30 +0200
The direct answer to your question is: just pass in the string that contains the contents of the xml.

But I assume that after that, you want to create XML from this string and you want to process it (otherwise, why would you ask how to pass in a string? I am sure you know how to do that). Simply use the saxon:parse and/or saxon:serialize extension functions. You can find the details on how to use them on the Saxon website (the first parses an xml string and constructs a node set, the second does the opposite and returns a string equal to what would be produced through normal output processing)

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

PS: note that there is no recovery when the string that is passed in is not well-formed xml!

John Smith wrote:
Hello,

I have a xslt which needs to use 2 xml files, the first one is not actually a file but an xml formatted string and the second one is an xml file.

So I want:

xmlString + rules.xml + XSL.xslt = Result.xml

I have tested the scenario with the xsl file referencing the xml files as:

<xsl:variable name="myrules" select="document('myrules.xml')"/>
<xsl:variable name="xmlstring" select="document('myXmlString.xml')"/>

and then created a resulting xml file. However instead of referencing
a file I want to dynamically pass an xmlString to it. I am using
Java+Saxon, is there a way around this? or any alternative methods to
address this problem?

Many thanks, J