Re: [Fwd: Uses of DSSSL]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Uses of DSSSL]
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:10:57 +0100 (BST)
 > For me personally, there is also:
 >
 >   4. For automated (font-dependant) calculation of sizes of tables.
i dont see how this is related to DSSSL vs Perl?

 >   6. Querying the typesetting engine. For any TeX backend to work
 >      correctly, it needs access to the full TeX engine. In fact,
 >      perhaps a TeX extension that reads DSSSL specs instead of
 >      macros would be the best approach.
again, how does this affect DSSSL vs (say) SGMLS? either way if you write
TeX, its processed by TeX-the-engine

I am afraid I go along with David M's reason #2 - I have too many
scripts with a system() or an arbitrary `open' to switch them all to
DSSL

Sebastian