RE: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: RE: Scheme Programming Reference
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:51:32 +0200

> I usually use the pdf version of the standard, which isn't so
> bad to use
> really, apart from the fact that the table of contents is in
> a separate
> file:-)
>
> That is, the bits on scheme syntax are fairly readable, as
> are the bits
> describing the flow objects.
>
> What I find totally unreadable is the vast swathes of verbatim SGML
> markup set in fixed width font:
>
> <!-- SGML Declaration-related abstract classes and properties -->
> <psmodule rcsnm=sdclabs fullnm="sgml declaration abstract"
> dependon=baseabs>
>
> It would be really nice to see section 9.6 and friends reformatted and
> split up with some english commentary and subheadings. It
> seems like you
> can get a reasonable way into dsssl while ignoring all such
> information,
> but it is worrying to ignore such a large block of text, but
> there is an
> overwhelming temptation to do so given its current presentation.
>
> David

I totally agree. The sections on scheme, the transformation and
style language as well as the concept flow object are quite clear
and nice to read. But section 9.6 on the property set of DSSSL is
horrible. I find this section very very hard to read. This is
surprising since this particular section is on what a grove is and
how it is organised into classes, elements, nodes, etc. In my opinion
this section is the most important section of DSSSL, for all remaining
sections build on the concept of a grove.

Speaking for myself, I find DSSSL is very rich and not too difficult.
Both the Scheme part and Flow Object part are rather easy to learn.
The part of DSSSL which took a very long time to get a hold on, is the
part on groves and the property set.

pieter

--
Pieter Rijken                          E-mail: pieter.rijken@xxxxxx

CMG Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.
Division Advanced Technology
Nieuwekade 1-19
P.O. Box 8038                 Phone: +31 30 2339300
3503 RA Utrecht               Fax:   +31 30 2339495
The Netherlands

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
            does it represent an official position of, CMG
            Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.