RE: About multiple output documents from a single XML/SGML processed document

Subject: RE: About multiple output documents from a single XML/SGML processed document
From: Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:35:42 +0200 (CEST)

Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would rather not extend the dsssl model any more than necessary, as this
> would probably involve modifying all backends and losing compatibility to
> other dsssl engines. The simple solution exists today: run Jade once per
> output file, with parametrized stylesheets. It could be optimized to use a
> single invocation of the program, so as to minimize the parsing necessary,
> but no more.

I'd second that approach.  When I read the proposal, my feeling was
"this is clearly something to control from the command line".

Don't extend openjade even more beyond the dsssl spec, please.

If the majority would like to see such an extension, I'd suggest *not*
to extend existing FO's with new characteristics (which would drive
newcomes up the wall, when comparing extended examples to original
specs).  Rather add/extend the existing extensions of jade (the
sgml FO "entity" of jade comes to mind).  If you are to modify your
style sheets to create multiple output entites it would be easier to
simple wrap the old one by something like

(element whatever
  (make entity
    (next-match)))

than go into the old style sheets and add a new characteristic for
each simple-page-sequence etc.