RE: Pass parameter to Jade?

Subject: RE: Pass parameter to Jade?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:02:38 -0400
Hi Kai,

kai said:
We have XML documents which contain text in various (natural)
languages.  We would like to run Jade to convert these into HTML, one
HTML file per language.

It seems that I have to pass some kind of argument to Jade on the
command line to specify the output language desired.  How does one do
this?

Didier says:
No, this is only as a suggestion for OpenJade improvements. To create more
than one HTML file form a XML document you can use either the html or the
sgml mode. In the former case, each time you create a "scroll" flow object
you create a new html document. In the latter case,, each time you create a
new "entity" you create a new document. Thus, there is no needs, in your
case to consider what have been said more particularly on OpenJade
improvements and more generally on DSSSL-2 new specifications feature set.
Only the page oriented constructs do not have the capability to create
multiple outputs. As an example of a page oriented construct and a reported
problem from a user in this community, we have the rtf output type and the
usage of the simple-page-sequence flow object.

So, lucky guy, you do not have this problem with HTML, even better, you are
gifted with at least two strategies to reach your goal:
1)SGML/XML transformation into HTML+CSS with the html mode and
2) SGML/XML transformation into HTML with the SGML mode (in this last case,
and if you use the Tony's Graham library, you can include style properties
in HTML constructs - i.e. HTML 4.0).

ref for the HTML mode is:
http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/HTML-CSS%20Formatting%20objects.html

ref for the Tony's Graham library and the SGML mode (you should use the
following two options a) "-t sgml" and b) "-2" options. this is because
Tony's library is using a new extension (proposed by James for DSSSL-2.) the
new construct used is the flow object macro allowing you to create new flow
objects
ref for the flow object macro: http://www.netfolder.com/OpenJade/dsssl2.htm
ref for Tony's library: http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/HTML%20Sample.html

Positive point: It seems that we have more documentation we can refer people
to and soon we'll have to add a RTFM section. Just kidding :-))

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com