RE: mode/with-mode

Subject: RE: mode/with-mode
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:45:34 -0400
Hi Avi,

Jon said:
--------------------------------------
> I frequently come up with a need to use mode and with-mode with
> parameters. Why isn't this included in the dsssl spec and/or Jade?
> Here is an example:

Avi answer:
--------------------------------------
This is something that I've wished for too. I recall James' words on this,
that mode should be extended to be a first-class object, like lambda
functions.

Instead of

(mode mode-name processing-rules...)

Do

(define mode-name (mode processing-rules))
(define (create-a-parameterized-mode param...)
    (mode ...) ;with usage of param...
)

(sosofo-append
    (with-mode mode-name (process-children))
    (with-mode (create-a-parametrized-mode whatever) (process-children))
)

As you pointed out, this is not in the standard or in OpenJade, but IMO
should be considered as an extension once OpenJade matures.

Didier says:
Good point and good example Avi. Point well taken.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com