[jats-list] Confirming STS metadata cardinality

Subject: [jats-list] Confirming STS metadata cardinality
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:50:14 -0000
Hi, folks! I enjoyed seeing everyone this week.

When talking about adoptions and metadata this week at JATS-Con, it came to mind that I've made assumptions from the documentation and probably should confirm my assumptions while I've got my fingers in my code.

Looking at a standard's front matter:

https://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-2-html/element/front.html

I read:

(in one or more of the elements <std-meta>, <iso-meta> <reg-meta> or <nat-meta>)

... and:

Any combination of:
 - <std-meta> NISO STS Standard Metadata
 - <iso-meta> ISO-specific Metadata
 - <reg-meta> ISO-specific Regional Metadata
 - <nat-meta> ISO-specific National-Body Metadata

... and:

(std-meta | iso-meta | reg-meta | nat-meta)*

... and I've always assumed that the multiplicity in the cardinality applied only to the choice of elements and not to the individual elements themselves.

In RELAX-NG this would be expressed with interleave, but we all know we don't have that in DTD-speak or W3C-speak.

Moreover, I've assumed <std-meta> to be mutually exclusive with <iso-meta>, <reg-meta>, and <nat-meta>.

I based my assumptions on the cardinality of 0..1 for <std-meta> in <adoption-front>. Using pure <std-meta> in adoption layers simply avoids the ambiguity of multiplicity.

Do I need to adjust my assumptions? Am I missing something in the semantic definitions of these constructs?

Thank you for your guidance!

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/j/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @US$125 (5 hours free) |