Re: [jats-list] Confirming STS metadata cardinality

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Confirming STS metadata cardinality
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 20:32:45 -0000
Hello, again, everyone.

May I please poke someone responsible for NISO-STS regarding the question I posted earlier regarding the cardinality of metadata elements?

For example, I cannot see how to put three <std-meta> elements under <front>, say for international, regional, and national distinctions, even when distinguished by std-meta-type=, because there are no originator= attributes to associate front-matter sections that use originator=. Users of the data might inconsistently derive an originator value from the possibilities found in the metadata.

If my guess is correct that the semantic cardinality is limited to one (regardless of the syntactic cardinality), then I can make a number of assumptions for simplicity.

Thank you for taking a moment of your time for your observations.