Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:18:01 -0500
| I think in fact there is one kind of "complex pattern" that would meet 80%
| of the requirement and would SIMPLIFY the language: namely "a group of
| consecutive elements of the same type".

Given:

  <list>
    <li>...</li>
    <li>...</li>
    <li>...</li>
  </list>

Do you mean a single rule that would match all the <li>'s
simultaneously?  I think that would make flow object
construction for the elements in each <li> much more difficult.

| Currently there are three patterns
| for "first of type", "last of type" and "only of type", and if any of these
| is matched, then the default rule for the element is not matched. If you get

Another possibility is to add more expressive power on the
action side.  In other words, let the action side of the
<target-element type="li"/> ask which occurance this is and
adjust its output accordingly.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <nwalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> | The man with ten children is
Senior Application Analyst          | better off than the one with ten