Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:13:33 -0500
/ Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh wrote:
| > Another possibility is to add more expressive power on the
| > action side.  In other words, let the action side of the
| > <target-element type="li"/> ask which occurance this is and
| > adjust its output accordingly.
|
| That's not good enough:

I didn't mean to claim that it was.

| Consider:
|
| <A><B><A><A><B><A><A><A><B>
|
| Now I want to wrap sequences of more than one A in a paragraph flow
| object. The problem is that by the time the first A's construction rule

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do in this case.  I might be tempted
to work explicitly with the node list of the children of
whatever element contains these elements.  But I can't do that
in XSL yet.

| No. The rule would match *the sequence of <LI>'s*. And
| (process-children) would invoke the construction rule of each individual
| LI. But the <LI> example is not interesting because they are already
| wrapped in <LIST>. Consider the problem with A's and B's.

Well, if the input document is XML, the A's and B's are wrapped
in something too. ;-)

| (element-sequence A
|     (make paragraph
| 	(process-children)))
|
| (element A
|     (A's usual construction rule here))

Interesting.  I'll have to think about that.

--norm