Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:21:48 -0500
[Sean Mc Grath]
> Okay! I'm half way there. An XSL processor is free to create the
> flow objects in any order it likes cos the place they are going in
> the resultant tree does not depend on creation order.  Fine. The
> part I still don't get is how the rule might be triggered 1000
> times?

It won't necessarily, but the point Paul is making is that you can't
make assumptions about the implementation.  Maybe the processor will
be multi-threaded, accessing the tree randomly and processing whatever
it comes across.  I don't know.  The point is that you can specify
transformations - from element tree to flow object tree - and you can
use programmatic functions to do that, but you can't fire off events
unrelated to the transformation and expect a sane result.  Using
writeln() triggers an event - the computer will, most likely, perform
some action upon encountering it, whose effects leave the scope of the
transformation.  That effect will be triggered every time the
transformation is called, and not necessarily linearly with the order
of the document's elements.

-Chris