Re: Style vs. transformation

Subject: Re: Style vs. transformation
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 17:47:26 -0500
Tony Stewart wrote:

> This is an issue we too care about (a lot). I'm hoping that the standard
> can be broadened (and made more generic and therefore more useful) by
> specifying a mechanism for shelling out to _any_ scripting language or
> available programming interface, not just JavaScript.

I think that a single must be mandatory for interoperability. But the
integration of other languages with XSL's processing model could also be
well defined by W3C. In other words the "Extensible Style Model" could
be defined in terms of (e.g.) CORBA interfaces and XSL should be the
combination of "XSM" and ECMAScript.

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."