Re: syntax feedback

Subject: Re: syntax feedback
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:55:24 -0600
Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Paul Prescod wrote:
> > If you need
> > transformation, then you don't really have any choice about whether to use
> > CSS or XSL and there is also no competition. CSS can't even handle a
> > simple cross-reference (nor should it be extended to! It's good at what it
> > does)
>         False.

Egad. The sentence above is true.

> You are mixing two things : CSS and other concepts
> using CSS general syntax.  We (Electricité de France) modify HTML and
> XML fragments using a transformation language based on CSS syntax. Not
> CSS, a different spec.

I'm not mixing two things. Simon was talking about CSS, not your CSS-like

If you want to say: "Sure, that's true, but a CSS-like language can be
taught to do XSL-like stuff" then we would have a basis for conversation.
Naysaying true statements is not.

Yes, a CSS-like language can do transformations. Can it do it as elegantly
as XSL? Not in my opinion. I could be wrong. I'll give you a chance to
demonstrate it.

What's the statement in your language to do this:

<xsl:template match="doc">
    <TITLE><xsl:value-of select="docinfo/title"></TITLE>
    <xsl:process select="docinfo">
    <xsl:process select="table-of-contents">
    <xsl:process select="div">

"Sports utility vehicles are gated communities on wheels" - Anon