RE: lambda was RE: W3C-transformation language petition

Subject: RE: lambda was RE: W3C-transformation language petition
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:50:46 -0500
HI Jonathan,

<YourComment>
	my first inclination was to suggest that a free Java DSSSL/Scheme
implementation might do for client side transformations what XSL does (or
might do) and more...

...but when you think about it, this might not be true... HTML is alot
closer to XML than Lisp in its syntax and HTML remains the most important
output format if we are concerned about client side applications.

what I am interested in doing is employing XSL as a client application
'language' for browser based client apps. So, what I need for XSL is to grow
into something akin to an XML based Scheme.  It already has a cons and car
and cdr and eq. XSL needs a lambda and defun and recursion. That's the stuff
that ought be between <xsl:eval> rather than Javascript.
</YourComment>

<Reply>
You may end up with something even more un-lisible than DSSSL. After all, a
dsssl document is also a SGML document where the begin tag delimiter is "("
and the end tag delimiter is ")". The problem is not so much with dsssl
interpreters but with tools to help not get lost with the "()".

To map all lisp construct with XML type markups could be a lot less readable
and may end up with complicated structure. In the end people would go back
to dsssl saying that xsl is too complicated :-)
</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx