Re: Data misuse (was Re: template matching..)

Subject: Re: Data misuse (was Re: template matching..)
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:20:54 +0000
Hi Marcus.

You're right in that there is a relationship between the data provider and
the data reciever. I would however say that in business terms a large part
of this relationship is still best solved person to person in that we
provide *very* large data feeds to companies, and any changes to those
feeds would be part of a negotiated business solution.

Likewise I as a developer of Web applications now recieve data from the
back-end in XML format. This solution was negotiated between myself and the
back-end developers. Likewise any change would be negotiated.

In dealing with change, or migrating from one data model to another as an
interim solution we have XSL that can be utilised as a translational
filter, until applications migrate.

In terms of dealing with unpredictable changes to recieved data, there are
two strategies off the top of my head...

If you provide a DCD with your data, then I can look for changes in the
data model and bring in a contingency plan for rendering that data.

The other iedea, is again if you provide a DCD with data types described,
is to use an XSL stylesheet to transform the DCD into and XSL stylsheet for
transforming the data. In this way you can pretty much change your data
(within reasonable bounds) in any way you wish and it wont effect me at
all.

In providing a solution dealing with ever changing data models the latter
dynamic construction of stylesheets is probably the way to go.

All this doesn't change the fact that in the end it is my resopsibility as
the recipient of your data to deal with that data. Obviously if you can
facilitate that the relationship will be a happier one, but I certianly
don't like the experience of the data provider dictating the stylesheet.

Cheers
     Guy Murphy
     Web Developer
     The Dialog Corporation plc.