Re: Simple XPath question

Subject: Re: Simple XPath question
From: Phil Lanch <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:19:16 +0000
Nikita Ogievetsky wrote:

> You are right. I did this in a rush and missed this case.
> The following constructs works with your fragment correctly:
>
>   <xsl:for-each select="PERSON">
>     <xsl:if test="following-sibling::PERSON[current()/@lastname =
> ./@lastname and current()/@firstname = ./@firstname]">
>        <xsl:if test="not(preceding-sibling::PERSON[current()/@lastname =
> ./@lastname and current()/@firstname = ./@firstname])">
>           <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
>        </xsl:if>
>     </xsl:if>
>   </xsl:for-each>

Yes: neat.

I'd never really noticed the current() function before; it looks very
useful.

Again, current() is only in XSLT, not XPath,
so this doesn't meet Paul's request for an XPath solution.

But (drifting off-topic) why should XPath have a current() function
when XPointer, the other spec that uses XPath, doesn't need it
(since in XPointer it would always return the same value as /)?

--

cheers

phil

'"having more of a life is one of the earliest
  and subtlest signs of mediocrity"' --- Musil