Re: X-Referencing

Subject: Re: X-Referencing
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 14:32:31 +0300
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

>Thing is, I am using the <link> tag in two different ways.
>As a "container" and as a "pointer".
>Is it possible to write a DTD that will be smart enough to validate
>both usages?
>
>Can you say for instance that in one situation it has to have an "id"
>attribute and "ref" element, while in another it has to have an "idref"
> attribute?

Nope.

>I could come up with a new name, but I like the symmetry.

Well, in an approach that I believe reasonable, bearing the same
name implies sharing the same function. The two usages of
<link> are related but opposite by their function (link origin vs.
link target). They are antisymmetrical rather than symmetrical,
and I see no aesthetic reasons for keeping them homonymous
(though "de gustibus non est disputandum" ;-)).

Cheers,
Nikolai