RE: getting element name into html using MSXML3

Subject: RE: getting element name into html using MSXML3
From: "Julian Reschke" <reschke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:42:39 +0200
Dan Morrison wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> > Dan Morrison wrote:
> >
> > > Presume nothing, the 'install' seemed to have zero effect on my
> > > functionality.
> > > ... The exe just executed and went away most
> > > disconcertingly.
> > >
> > Did you run xmlinst.exe (which replaces mxmsl.dll by msxml3.dll and thus
> > allows the old IE5 to use the new parser)?
>
> I think I ran
> msxmlwr.exe
> (which had me agree that I understood something written in Spanish)
> and that was that.
>
> I appear to have both msxml.dll, msxml3.dll in my system now, (and
> msxmlr.dll) but I've found no change in IE5s parsing when I tried
> testing it.
> Your response suggests that maybe I should try removing the original...
> thanks.

Actually, you have to do more than that. Quoting the SDK:

<quote>
Running Msxml3 in Replace Mode
When you install Msxml3.dll, the Xmlinst.exe installer tool is added to your
system directory. You can use Xmlinst.exe to run Msxml3.dll in Replace mode.

In Replace mode, the tool modifies the registry entry to appear as if the
entry was created by Msxml.dll, and overwrites the InprocServer32, TypeLib
and Default Icon values. This modification allows applications that are
coded to the previous ClassIDs and ProgIDs to take advantage of the new
functionality in Msxml3 without changing your code.

To use Msxml3.dll in Replace mode, double-click on the Xmlinst.exe file in
your system directory (where Msxml3.dll exists) or execute the application
from the command line as follows:

Command Behavior
"xmlinst" Replace mode with Msxml3.dll as the new dll path.
"xmlinst pathname" Take a path as a parameter such that Msxml3.dll will take
over for all the registry entries created by Msxml.dll.
"xmlinst -u msmxl" Delete all entries from the registry that were created by
Msxml.dll.
"xmlinst -u msxml3" Delete all entries from the registry that were created
by Msxml3.dll.
"xmlinst -u" Delete all entries from the registry that were created by any
version of Msxml.dll.
"xmlinst -?"  Print usage message.
</quote>

Julian