RE: getting element name into html using MSXML3 (home work missing)

Subject: RE: getting element name into html using MSXML3 (home work missing)
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <Paulo.Gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:11:14 +0200
I am sorry Dan, but I think your problem with the "easy-preview" it is
mostly your own fault.

I went trough the same process of starting to use MSXML a couple of
months ago and I clearly remember all the steps.

MS XML Parser Technology Preview download page had already for the
March release the same layout it has now (May release).
Take a look at
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/webtechnology/xml/msxml.asp

There are two clearly highlighted downloads:
  1. "Download the May 2000 MSXML Technology Preview Release"
  2. "Download the latest MSXML Technology Preview SDK"

If you want to get serious development done, you should get
seriously prepared/informed. That means downloading and installing
both the parser (1) and the SDK (2).

The SDK contains documentation (the HTML Help file "xmlsdk.chm" for the
March release). A obvious step to take on documentation is to READ IT
before you use the tool. Even if you skip the reference parts, you
should at least read:
 - the "Guides" topics (in this case the "XML Developer's Guide"
   and the "XSLT Developer's Guide");
 - the tutorial topics ("XML Tutorial");
 - and MOST OF ALL the "What's New" topics, that highlight the
   most relevant new stuff in a software release.

Following the "What's New" topics you would find:
  "What's New in the MSXML Technology Preview-March 2000"

And there you have a link to:
  "Running Msxml3 in Replace Mode"

There, you would find about "XmlInst.exe" and all that stuff you were
missing.

You could also find this folowing some links in the site (I am not
giving you all the steps but it is "What's new" related again).

Notice that having to install MSXML in "replace mode" manually is a
percaution. By default IE5 keeps using the old version of this COM
library, since the new one is considered a beta and has bugs.

This time these bugs are made public my M$ in the MSXML Web pages.
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/xml/general/msxml_buglist.asp
(And this is just one of the reasons I respect a lot the MSXML team
- much more than I do respect M$ general behaviour.)

There is a good example to defend this kind of precaution:
  One of the bugs is related with a "refresh" functionality. If you
  install the March MSXML in replace mode, load a XML document and
  click on refresh, you will hang the browser (which does not happen
  if you press enter again on the address text box).
  This bug is listed as fixed in the May release:
    BugId : 47797
    Title : The browser hangs on refresh when running MSXML2.dll in
            replace mode and processing an XSLT style sheet.
    Area  : Browsing

Do your "home work" before complainning. Many people will not help
you in your troubles if they notice you didn't care to do the
obvious before taking someone else's time.

I am not complaining either, just trying to open your eyes to the
necessary pains of developing software solutions.

Have fun,

Paulo