RE: Saxon VS XT

Subject: RE: Saxon VS XT
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <TRA@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:25:36 +0200
> No doubt  *you*  will. I'm talking about 'most of developers'.
> 'most of developers'  are not subscribed to this list
> ( even they are already using XSLT ).

Just quick comments, and then I'll desist too.

I am certain that the key() will be a good tool for almost every experienced XSLT (not expert, just experienced) since it will be in every "Tips and tricks for XSLT", including a quick cookbook to get going.

If you still mean "most of the developers" I would appreciate some background information about why you think so ;-)

> > Not using key, is like having to use Perl
> > (or any other programming language) without being allowed
> > to use hash tables for lookup purposes.
>
> Poor C, ( and Pascal )  they  had no build-in hashtable support.

No.  I am talking about not being allowed to use the technique at all.

> > Use XT if it fits your purpose, but please do not use argumentation
> > like the above since it puts all of us down.
>
> Nice try.  This sounds that   you are saying that I'm talking nonsense
> because I'm not politically correct ? There is no defense against
> such ( political ) argumentation and I'l not try ( I"m tired ).

No.  I just think that your reference to "most developers" is incorrect.

> "XT has many limitations because it is not 100% conformant
> but conformant engines have no limitations because they are
> conformant"  ( to me the only possible argumentation  is key()
> and as I already wrote to Sebastian privately - I need at least
> 2 weeks to implement my model of processing his XML
> real-life data without key() ).

Why not use the two weeks to implement key() in XT instead O:-)

> Those lost souls who still think that storing massive volumes of
> data in the format of huge text files and then use key() hack to
> 'improve the speed of processing' - is reasonable usage of
> computers - I can not help them ;-)

If that is your concern, why are you using XML in the first place ;-)

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen   "...and...Tubular Bells!"