Re: [xsl] nested templates?

Subject: Re: [xsl] nested templates?
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:15:59 -0400
[Chris Bayes]

> Thomas,
> I think that is a completely bad example. That is completely flat and
> doesn't give any insight into anything. You might as well have just used
> goto for all the stucture there is in it.

[Tom]
Depends on what you want to accomplish, Chris. I first wrote one like this
when I was working with someone else who was creating spaghetti xslt code,
and we both had to contribute to the pages.  It made all the difference.  On
the other hand, all my stylesheets aren't like this by any means.

I'm responding to the literal words in the original posting, which talked
about "pages", and nesting templates so you could do the whole page at once.
Of course, we don't know how general he was thinking his input would be.  He
also mentioned 'production".  So I illustrated a way in which you could
create a series of production pages from a clean, simple template that would
be easy to customize, while avoiding the trap of getting lost in too many
'little bits".  Different people could work on the different parts, and even
run the corresponding templates on their work to test it.  That's a decent
approach for "production".

As for flatness, we don't know what would have gone into the component
templates.  They could have been recursive as anything, who knows!

One of the main points I wanted to illustrate was that you can use xslt -
for "production-like purposes -to do without 1) betting killed by little
dismembered bits, and 2) not get lost in a large, convoluted block.

A model for everything?  Not at all!

Regards,

Tom P