Re: [xsl] disable-output-escaping not working?

Subject: Re: [xsl] disable-output-escaping not working?
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:02:35 -0400
[Henry E. Lee, Jr.]>
> 1. I did not realize that I was using the wrong namespace. I was going
with
> the examples in the books/articles I was using. I am just looking for
plain
> old XML/XSL I think, or should I be using XSLT?

xslt is a specific Recommendation of the W3C.  It uses a specific namespace:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

As you have learned by now - and it is a very FAQ - Microsoft started using
its own version of preliminary draft version of the Rec (then called XSL)
several years ago.  The language design has gone way past what it was back
then and is not compatible with Microsoft's version.  Thus the new
namespace.

Newer versions of the Microsoft processor also understand real xslt,
providing you tell it to do so by using the right namespace.  Unfortunately
Internet Explorer (before IE 6, anyway) by default uses the older version.
You have to install and configure the new processor to get it to work with
real xslt.  Not hard but it needs to be done, and most installations of IE
so far will not work with xslt because they have not been upgraded.

> 3. XHTML? Hmm, so now I am looking at an XML/XSL/XSLT/TIDY/XHTML solution?
> Hehe. Any good references on XHTML? Everytime I try anything with XML,
seems
> like I have to learn 2 or 3 new related technologies :)

Just think of xhtml as html with a few tweaks to make it into well-formed
xml.  That is an oversimplification, but for your purposes it makes no
difference and you do not have to know any more than this.

Tidy is a tool that fixes up problematical html.  It is not another language
or standard to learn.  If you can figure out how to change your design to
keep the users' html out of the xml, you might not even need it.

You chose to use XML, which was probably a good choice,  but unfortunately
did not realize that older Microsoft literature might not give you accurate
information about the technologies.

Cheers,

Tom P