RE: [xsl] XML to SVG

Subject: RE: [xsl] XML to SVG
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:44:14 -0500
[ Kevin.Gutch@xxxxxxxxxxx]

> Does anyone have any working examples of how to go from XML
> to SVG? I am particularly interested in graphs. Is XSLT the
> best way to go for this or is somethign like Batik more
> suited for creating graphs, pie charts etc?

XSLT can be good if the calculations you need to do fit with the
available XSLT capabilities.  I used XSLT -> SVG to create some scatter
plots based on user ratings (importance vs satisfaction on a scale like
"not important' .. "very important").  I converted the xml-formatted
ratings to numeric values (0..5), and plotted them including dithering
so that points with the same ratings would not fall on top of each
other.  I used different symbols for data from different sources.  There
were roughly one hundred points.

This took several passes, which can be orchestrated using a batch file
or shell script.  The results were very good.

How did I do random dithering without an XSLT random number generator?
I produced (pseudo) random numerical strings for the x and y coordinates
using python and put them into a template.  I indexed into the strings
using position() as the index, in effect returning a random integer
between 0 and 9.  I added the return value to the base coordinates to
dither the position of the points.  Fast and easy.

Cheers,

Tom P