Re: [xsl] RTF Output

Subject: Re: [xsl] RTF Output
From: Michael Hall <ninti@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:03:57 +1100
Quoting Laura <xsl_list@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

There is a very quick and simple way to do this, but there are a couple of ifs
and buts.

IF your XML documents use the DocBook XML tag set, then you can simply use
Jade/OpenJade to convert the XML to RTF. It really is very quick and easy.

You could probably pre-process your existing XML into DocBook if necessary.
Then, assuming you are using one of most recent Linux distros, this simple
command is all that is needed:

openjade -t rtf -d /path/to/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/print/docbook.dsl
yourfile.xml

openjade then creates an RTF file with the same title as your input file (ie
yourfile.rtf)

Jade uses a stylesheet language called DSSSL to convert XML documents, not
XSL, but the result is a good quality RTF document, so this small detail
doesn't really matter, eh?. I have found this to be an excellent solution to
XML->RTF conversion.

IF you're using Windows, I guess the necessary software (Jade) may be
available, I'm not sure.

To find out more, search Google for DSSSL, Jade, Openjade, nwalsh.com,
DocBook, OASIS, jclark.com

Mick

> Hello,
> I  want to convert a document to RTF through XSL. At the moment what is
> being done is a HTML file is created and then opened in Word. and then
> saved
> etc..I do not want this to happen, as i Understand there are ways to do
> this
> through XSL.If anyone can show me path towards this, I shall be
> greatful.Should I have to use xsl:fo for this?
> or is there any other alternate ways to solve this? There are huge set of
> xsl files that have already been developed  to create HTML output.
> Is there any Java API that can convert an input HTML to RTF document? This
> will make my job easier because i can then pass on my output HTML to the
> API
> to create the RTF document.
> I need your suggestions regarding this.
> Thanks

Michael Hall                 Web Development Officer
Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education
Work: mick.hall@xxxxxxxxx             (08) 8951 8352
Home: ninti@xxxxxxxxx                  (08 8953 1442