Re: [xsl] namespace problem with DOM parsed stylesheets

Subject: Re: [xsl] namespace problem with DOM parsed stylesheets
From: Michael Pediaditakis <mp49@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:31:57 +0100

Michael Kay wrote:
the approach of copying all the "xmlns" attributes to the DOM tree seems to work since
xalan can get the information from there and resolve any XSL-T attrributes with
namespace prefixes but I suppose that there is a more "proper" solution.. .isn't there???

With DOM, I don't think there is a "proper" solution to handling
namespaces. The way namespaces are represented in the tree seems (in my
experience) to depend on the product you are using, the level of the DOM
specification, the exact methods that you call to update the DOM and
then to retrieve data from it, and the temperature of the seabed in the
Pacific Ocean. You just need to find a way that works for you and stick
to it. Alternatively, if you can, avoid DOM entirely.

Thanx for the reply. My original intention was to use only SAX... however, it would be *so* complex that the development time would triple so I used DOM instead!

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx
work: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx