Re: [xsl] formatting xml output: inserting newlines between generated attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] formatting xml output: inserting newlines between generated attributes
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:56:02 +0100
> do you feel that vendors of 2.0 will still support
> node-set() usage?

I doubt it but if you wanted to have a 2.0 stylesheet that still sead
select="xx:node-set($x)"
rather than
select="$x"
then you could do so and use the xslt 2 facilities for function
definition to define xx:node-set as a no-op function.

> also, leaving aside compatibility issues, what do you think about
> constructing a tree within one xslt vs. having a 2-step transform?

If it's the whole document then it doesn't make a lot of difference, two
steps is probably a bit kinder on the system as it can junk the initial
input tree from memory  after the first step, but it is _very_
convenient to process small chunks of document into a variable and then
process them with a second pass in the same stylesheet, eg one pass to
normalise several input forms, another to sort and number the result,

David