Re: [xsl] Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:26:42 -0400
Deepak,

Maybe you aren't getting an answer because it isn't clear how your post relates to XSLT.

Unless in some strange framework operating on a planet far far away, Javascript is not executed during an XSLT transformation. It sometimes comes into the picture because XSLT is used to write out (or even generate) Javascript code that is subsequently executed, for example in a web browser: but no Javascript is executed at runtime by the XSLT engine. (Actually I exaggerate: even mainstream XSLT engines might provide the capability to call functions that happen to be written in Javascript somewhere. But this should happen strictly by means of proprietary extensions. That different processors might compete by offering different features in this respect is part of the idea of XSLT as an external spec, a "standard": processors should be allowed to differentiate themselves. But it explicitly won't be "XSLT" in the narrow sense.)

Accordingly it is not clear what the significance is of your saying your XSL file has Javascript "embedded", or whether you are doing this properly (in accordance with some feature provided by your processor, Xalan, which has no Javascript support TMK) or in a way which is bound not to work given the way XSLT is designed to run. You might have better luck presenting the problem if you showed the code where the Javascript is embedded, and then someone could explain to you why this won't work. (But it won't be me: I am about to board a flight across an ocean. :-)

It is also possible that your problem has nothing to do with Javascript at all. Someone who knows Xalan's error messages has to see what you are trying to do and why it isn't going. In the meantime you should certainly consider what role Javascript is playing. Whatever it is supposed to be doing, you could start by ripping it out and getting your XSLT to run without it, and only then researching how to go about solving whatever problem you have that you think you need the Javascript to deal with.

Sorry this isn't so much help. What do you mean by "embedded"?

Cheers,
Wendell