RE: [xsl] In which sequence should specs be read?

Subject: RE: [xsl] In which sequence should specs be read?
From: Manpreet Singh <singhm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:01:21 +0530
Thanx.

Regards
Manpreet Singh

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Paul Adams [mailto:colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 11:22 AM
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Manpreet> Hi, I have been reading the specs for xslt
    Manpreet> 2.0. Frequently, I have come across reference to other
    Manpreet> specs like XML Schema etc. So every time I come across a
    Manpreet> spec like this I have to turn to that spec and read it
    Manpreet> from start to understand it completely. This way I loose
    Manpreet> track to the xslt spec I have been reading... simply
    Manpreet> speaking I loose more time in learning.  Since we have
    Manpreet> people from w3c and other learned people in xsl-list, I
    Manpreet> wanted to ask is there a sequence in which these specs
    Manpreet> can be read so that I do not have to turn to some new
    Manpreet> spec (for example: XML Schema) when I start reading one
    Manpreet> (for example xslt spec).

In my opinion, there is no such sequence, in practise.
I've been implementing xslt 2.0 now for a year, and still, I am
continually cross-checking between the various specs.

However, if you have the ability to read and totally absorb a
specification at one reading then you might try a sequence like:

1) XML
2) XML Names
3) XML Schema
4) XPath Data Model
5) XPath
6) XPath/XQuery functions and operators
5) XSLT
6) XSLT/XQuery serialization

But there are various other specifications that are referred to be
these (for instance, definitions of URIs).

I suspect reading Michael Kay's books would be far more useful, but it
depends what your needs are.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire