Re: [xsl] end-of-sentence full stop in XSL:FO?

Subject: Re: [xsl] end-of-sentence full stop in XSL:FO?
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:39:53 -0600
Torsten Bronger wrote:

Can you explain why you need to make this distinction? [...]

After a sentence, a bigger skip should be inserted (in certain
languages).  This distinction in made by TeX, and I write an XML to
LaTeX converter.  I need a way to preserve the end-of-sentence
information in the XML markup.  There are a couple of ways of
course, all of which more or less inelegant.

I just want to know whether there is already a way to express that,
so that I avoid re-inventing it.

As far as I know there is no FO-defined way to indicate the end of a sentence. I would expect any good FO implementation to do this automatically.

What FO engine are you using?

Per the other response to this thread, you could always detect the sentence breaks yourself and either insert the appropriate absolute space characters (say using a SAX filter on the input to the XSLT process) or generate a space leader with the appropriate spacing. The only issue there is that would tend to disallow breaking of lines at sentence boundaries, so that might not work.

Really, this is a function of the renderer implementation and not something that the creator of the FO data should have to worry about, just like hyphenation or kerning or other aspects of line composition.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber