[xsl] Annoying XSLT code

Subject: [xsl] Annoying XSLT code
From: andrew welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:51:48 +0100
I've recently had to maintain someone else's XSLT and a couple of
things really annoy me.

The first is selecting something using a variable and then applying
templates to that variable, eg:

<xsl:apply-templates select="$sections/section"/>

...you have to keep checking what the variable contains to follow the
execution.

The second is using a variable that is defined in a different
stylesheet that the current stylesheet imports / is imported into.
Really bad, really annoying.  Especially the two combined.

The third (I know I said a couple but...) is the over-use/misuse of
xsl:call-template - it's just a nightmare:

<xsl:if test="$foo/section">
  <xsl:call-template name="$something">

then

<xsl:template name="$something">