[xsl] Obscuring static content with flow

Subject: [xsl] Obscuring static content with flow
From: Evan Lenz <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:00:53 -0800
Is there a way to obscure static content using flow content?

I have a 2-column layout with a rotated (vertical) rule leader dividing the two columns of flow. The leader is defined in a block-container in static content. My problem is that there are some blocks in the flow that need to span both columns (using <block span="all">). In that case, I don't want that vertical rule to be displayed, since it cuts straight through the content. Is there a way to hide it or "cover up" a portion of the rule using content from the flow?

I've tried using an all-white image to cover up the static content, but that didn't seem to work. Either it's fundamentally impossible, or I'm missing something fundamental. (I hope it's the latter!)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,
Evan