Re: [xsl] Obscuring static content with flow

Subject: Re: [xsl] Obscuring static content with flow
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:22:03 -0500
At 2006-03-10 14:00 -0800, Evan Lenz wrote:
Is there a way to obscure static content using flow content?

I have a 2-column layout with a rotated (vertical) rule leader dividing the two columns of flow. The leader is defined in a block-container in static content.

I've learned that the spec does not specify the z-index of the regions of the page, which means that you cannot rely that overwriting one region with another region is going to work.

This is important to me in my UBL stylesheets, so to accommodate this, I've had to ensure transparent backgrounds in case the static area for a particular implementation has a higher z-index than the body area.

This is important to your situation in that any solution has to happen in a single region and not two regions.

My problem is that there are some blocks in the flow that need to span both columns (using <block span="all">). In that case, I don't want that vertical rule to be displayed, since it cuts straight through the content. Is there a way to hide it or "cover up" a portion of the rule using content from the flow?

If you could change your vertical rule to be a background graphic (remember you can repeat a small vertical bar with background-repeat="repeat-y" ... if you have my XSL-FO book an illustration is on page 288 of the Fifth Edition), then you could use background="white" on your spanned text in your region which is guaranteed to have a higher z-index than the background of that same region (but not of other regions).

I've tried using an all-white image to cover up the static content, but that didn't seem to work. Either it's fundamentally impossible, or I'm missing something fundamental. (I hope it's the latter!)

It looks like the implementation of XSL-FO you are using uses a higher z-index for perimeter regions than for body regions.

I had hoped the ability to specify z-index for regions would have been added to XSL-FO 1.1 in order to do more effects in UBL, but the answer back from the committee was "no".

I hope this helps, Evan.

-- Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17 World-wide on-site corporate, govt. & user group XML/XSL training. G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995) Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal