[xsl] formatting characters...

Subject: [xsl] formatting characters...
From: "Cintron, Jose J." <jcintron@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:22:20 -0500
I have an XML doc that in one of its fields can contain a list of
items...  for example

<description>
There is some text here.  Followed by a list:
   * item 1
   * item n
Now there may be some additional text here.
</description>

The portion of the XSLT that handles this block is

<xsl:template name="DETAILS">
   <xsl:param name="FID"/>
      <dd>
         <b><SPAN STYLE="font-style:italic">Discussion:</SPAN></b>
      </dd>
      <dd>
         <xsl:value-of
select="document('myfile.xml')//XPathStatement[ID=$FID]/DISCUSSION"/>
      </dd>
</xsl:template>

Is there any way to make sure that each of the list items displays on
it's own line and indented?  I've tried adding the hex characters
(&#xD; &#xA; &#x9;) to my XML doc, but when the page is rendered in the
browser it all renders as one line.