Re: [xsl] XSLamenT

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLamenT
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:09:16 -0700
On 7/31/07, Justin Johansson <procode@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> It was not so long ago that one well-known participant of this list lamented:
>
> "There is nothing so powerful in FXSL and it implements some most basic
> concepts.
>
> Concepts like: fold, map, compose, repeat/iterate   -- form the alphabet of
> programming.
>
> Certainly, if someone has arrived at grade 5 in school and still doesn't
> know the alphabet,
> this person will find reading even ordinary text rather "daunting".
>
> To summarize, FXSL provides a big potential to learn, requires learning,
> and this is even
> a bigger value than simply the provided functionality."

This is not lamenting -- just stating a fact.

> it does seem to me that somehow the XSLT meme* is not
> replicating
> as we would all hope for in the minds of the wider I.T. community.
>
> Is the XSLT community somehow just wanting to keep this good oil to itself,
> or is it
> failing to articulate the paradigm in common language?

Most new and advanced technologies need many years before wide
acceptanced and used well
(see for example:
   http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201200461
)

In this respect FP and XSLT are no exceptions.

I have witnessed some increased interest to FXSL in the past year, but
this is probably still too early of reaching critical mass.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev