RE: [xsl] Display link text as a hyperlink

Subject: RE: [xsl] Display link text as a hyperlink
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:00:52 +0100
You seem to be using XSLT 2.0 so this is definitely a case for regular
expressions.

I'm always a bit hesitant about pattern matching in the text - you have to
accept that there will be a proportion of wrong matches and that these will
irritate your users. (Microsoft Powerpoint seems to have a nasty habit of
highlighting XPath expressions and regular expressions as URL hyperlinks,
for example). So I think it's important (a) to be careful about it, and (b)
to be conservative.

A reasonable regex might be something like

\s(http://|www)(\.[a-z0-9])+\.(com|org|net|ca|uk|fr|de|...)[^\s]*

but I'm sure one could improve it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/