Re: [xsl] (Re-)Escaping entities in input text

Subject: Re: [xsl] (Re-)Escaping entities in input text
From: David Vergnaud <dvergnaud@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:38:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

thanks for the answer, but I think you misunderstood my question. The point is, I'm not writing to a file on the drive, therefore I'm not using any XML writer here. I'm simply saving my result to an xs:string, and passing it (without writing it down) to another program. so for example, if I have this input file:
<goo>
  <foo>a &lt; b</foo>
</goo>

saxon (I'm using version 9.0.0.4J) will read it, and, in a template that matches "foo", <xsl:value-of select="."/> would return "a < b", which is correct.

Now assume I have this piece of code (I'm writing it on the run, please be lenient :-) ):
<xsl:template match="foo">
  <xsl:variable name="my_xml">
    <xsl:text>&lt;bar&gt;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="." />
    <xsl:text>&lt;/bar&gt;</xsl:text>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:value-of select="java_class:function" />
</xsl:template>

The point of this template is to create a pseudo XML file in a string (my_xml), and pass it on to a java function (java_class:function) which will process it. However, doing it this way, my_xml will have the following content:
<bar>a < b</bar>
which is not well-formed, and thence couldn't be parsed by an XML parser in my java class.

So what i'm looking for is a way of outputting, *in my internal string*,  "a &lt; b" instead of "a < b".

I don't think this is bad practice, is it? I mean, definitely there are some cases where XSLT just cannot handle everything, and the processing of a piece of XML have to be handed over to some other processor :-).

On a related note: could it be that Saxon uses ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8 internally?? My source file is definitely UTF-8, but when I pass a string containing special characters (in that case german umlauts) to my Java class, I'm getting '?' (question marks) instead of the 2-byte codepoints... Any idea why this is happening, or how to avoid that??

David