Re: [xsl] (Re-)Escaping entities in input text

Subject: Re: [xsl] (Re-)Escaping entities in input text
From: Owen Rees <owen.rees@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:40:03 +0100
--On Wednesday, August 20, 2008 07:38:56 -0700 David Vergnaud wrote:

The point of this template is to create a pseudo XML file in a string
(my_xml), and pass it on to a java function (java_class:function) which
will process it. However, doing it this way, my_xml will have the
following content: <bar>a < b</bar>
which is not well-formed, and thence couldn't be parsed by an XML parser
in my java class.

So what i'm looking for is a way of outputting, *in my internal string*,
"a &lt; b" instead of "a < b".

I don't think this is bad practice, is it? I mean, definitely there are
some cases where XSLT just cannot handle everything, and the processing
of a piece of XML have to be handed over to some other processor :-).

If you really need to call an extension function of your own creation, and you intend to parse the string parameter with an XML parser inside the function, why not pass your parameter as a node? That would avoid the serialization and parsing thus avoiding all the problems and being more efficient.

Owen Rees; speaking personally, and not on behalf of HP. ======================================================== Hewlett-Packard Limited. Registered No: 690597 England Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN