Re: [xsl] Pattern question: first child of first descendant

Subject: Re: [xsl] Pattern question: first child of first descendant
From: "Christian Roth" <roth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 02:38:24 +0100
>> I am looking for a pattern that does "match the first title or para
>> child of the first entry descendant of a table element". I'm using
>> XSLT2.
>
>There may well be something better, but I would probably have used:
>  table//entry[1]/*[self::title or self::para][1]

Me too, until I found that it is wrong :-) It does "match the first
title or para child of every entry descendant in the table that is the
first child of some other element".

E.g. in the common case where entry elements are wrapped by row
elements, the above pattern matches every first para or title element in
the first entry child of each row in the table, not just the first entry
element (in document order) in the whole table.

-Christian