Re: [xsl] Line feed in xalan, disappears

Subject: Re: [xsl] Line feed in xalan, disappears
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:51:45 -0500
On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 15:36 -0500, Chris Wolf wrote:

> $ od -Ax  -c message.xml
> 000000   <   m   e   s   s   a   g   e   >   I       l   o   v   e  \n
> 000010   x   s   l   t   <   /   m   e   s   s   a   g   e   >  \n

OK - I asked because (1) the newline didn't show up in the email here,
and (2) there are often encoding surprises with special characters.
(yes, I'm familiar with od)

Next I'd try using the identity transform in XSLT, or dumping the parsed
XML, then, to see if it's a parser issue - is it the XML parser that's
removing the newline or is it the XSLT engine?

If you're running this on a Mac or Windows, it's possibly a faulty line
ending normalization, but in that case I'd expect it to happen
everywhere, not only with xsl:value-of atomization. You could alo try
xsl:apply-templates instead of value-of, or using Saxon instead of
xalan, or asking on a xalan-specific list :-)

Liam