Re: [xsl] When to use text()

Subject: Re: [xsl] When to use text()
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:31:39 +0000
On 21/03/2014 17:19, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
The quirkiness derives from giving it an innocuous intuit inducing
moniker like text() that leads the consumer astray.

I don't think you have ever said what you _expect_ it to do.

It returns the text nodes so

if the current node is

Then text() returns the sequence ("This was ", "expected")

and element() (or *) returns the sequence (<em>not</em>)

If you expect it to do something else then sure you will be lead astray
but I don't see how you can say that that definition is any less natural
than any other. Perhaps you'd want it to do what string() does but
that's called string() not text():-)

David