Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:51:17 -0700 (MST)
>> Another thing that might stifle 2600 programmers is that everything
>> we want to do has either already been done, or is impossible on the
>> 2600 without some real magic.
>
>There are a few ideas that I think would be possible but have not been
>done yet.  How about a split screen game, like BallBlazer or maybe
>2-player Enduro?  Even the 2-player Tetris that was mentioned would be a
>good idea (I wish Edtris had a 2-player mode!).  Also, the 2600 is in

Split screen games in the tradition of Ballblazer or Pitstop II would
be relatively easy.  One would just write a scanning loop that takes up
a little less than half the screen, and call it twice, each time with
a differnt set of variables or pointers.

>Anyway, for the record, I will not be programming a 2600 in the near
>future.  Much like Mike just indicated, I'm working on a more modern
>platform (the Lynx), which will still give me a solid 65C02 programming
>base, but allow me to work with 64K RAM instead of 128 bytes. =)  I also
>do not have a convenient method of getting 2600 programs from my PC to a
>real console.

That's what the Supercharger and emulators are for.

>Perhaps in the future I will try my hand at a 2600 game, but it will not
>be this year.

By this time next year, there will be enough collective experience within
the group that 2600 programming will be at least a little less
mysterious.