Re: [stella] Combat programming

Subject: Re: [stella] Combat programming
From: crackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:23:16 -0500 (EST)
In article <199703040137.SAA29085@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:

>>Last, there's definitely code in there to flash an LED wired to bit 4 of
>>port B when the game is over.  Presumably Atari ditched the LED to save
>>money.
>
>I still think that it sets a data direction register of some kind.
>There is a reason you can't control the tanks while the game is over,
>and it's a different reason than the reason why you can't control them
>when your opponent is exploding.  When Player 0 explodes, Player 1's
>forward velocity remains at whatever joystick position it had before,
>but when the game ends, both joysticks are frozen to a centered position.
>
>I'll try removing it and recompiling.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Could it possibly have anything to do with Atari's original plan to have the
2600 come with the combat ROM built into the machine?

I put a socket in the empty rom area of my 6-switch and popped a Combat
rom into it. It worked fine except it couldn't detect when there was
another cartridge in the slot, so the system would just crash.
Perhaps this was to trigger some sort of auto-detect harware that was
never implimented in the 2600.

Or maybe the programmer just put it in to totally confuse the living heck out
of anyone who examined his source code. ;)

                                CRACKERS
                        (Could be from hell!!!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ad329/Profile.html  | \^^/