Re: [stella] Table of Note Values?

Subject: Re: [stella] Table of Note Values?
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:03:43 -0700 (MST)
>Here are my preliminary results....  The tuner can't really read very high
>frequencies, so I can only give the basic pitch.  This is a quickie table
>that may not be perfect because tuners sometimes pick up harmonics rather
>than the fundementals, but it's fairly accurate.  This is only for
>distortions 4 and 1.  1 is for lower tones, and 4 extends into the higher
>ones.  These two tables alone should be enough to form the foundation of
>some music demos.  We'll see.   We'll have to take this information and
>build sub-tables that contain only well-tempered intervals.  I think
>variation +/-5 cents will result in music that is fairly in-tune.  Maybe
>one or two notes in the scale that are up to 10 cents out of tune are
>okay.  If you limit it to notes that are all in perfect tune in relation
>to eachother, you may have slim pickins in the notes.

That table looks great.... several possibilities for tables can be made.

Some notes in a scale (fifth, fourth) should be given less slack than
the others, but all else should go along smoothly.,

The chart proved a theory of mine, that the pitch value really DOES divide
by N (N+1 actually, since your notes for 1 and 3 (N=2 and N=4) gave the same
note, and as you noticed it seemed to be a perfect octave below.  7, 15 and
31 also gave the same note (B).  Likewise, E could be could at 2, 5, 11
and 23 (N=3, 6, 12, and 24).

This means that for a cool octave-divider effect, you can do this:

	LDA Pitch
	STA AUDF0
	ASL    ;multiply by 2
	STA AUDF1

Well, of course it would be cool to make it give a slight delay, but
you know what I mean.  And a chorus effect could be achieved by putting
the same frequency into two voices with different distortions; the two
notes produced would always have the same interval to each other.

In any case, this will be of some help to me.