Re: [stella] unidentified short black lines

Subject: Re: [stella] unidentified short black lines
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:43:57 +0100
>I'm doing experiments with sprite reuse during the screen loop.
>When I reposition a sprite, there's that short black line at the very left
>of the screen. It must be impossible to avoid, as it appears in any game
>that uses this technique (unless you've a black background of course).
>Why does this happen?

Just a thought:

The manual says not to change the horizontal motion registers 24 cycles
after a HMOVE. 24 plus 3 cycles for the STA is 27 cycles or 81 pixels.
81 minus 68 pixels for the horizontal blank is 13 pixels, which is about
the length of the black lines on the left screen side. So it seems, that
a HMOVE command halts all screen output untill it has finished updating
its internal registers.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg